Both the book and the author have surpassed the Guru status. In many ways, The Purple Cow was the book that started it all for marketing man of the century Seth Godin. A pruple cow has been adopted by marketeers as a remarkable idea, something that truly stands out from the crowd, and is therefor work ‘making a remark about’. The leightwieght bible for the new era of marketing contains loads of stories, anecdotes and inspirational insights in how to incorporate risk and remarkability into your ideas, as a designer, as a marketer, as a CEO, or anyone with a message.
Loved it because:
- Highly entertaining down-to-earth style of writing
- Quick but inspirational read (one-flight-book)
- One simple message packed in an inspirational book of examples and best practises
- A message that shook up the marketing world
You might not like it because:
- Critics of Seth Godin claim his ‘marketing for the masses’ is the hollywood for corporate strategy and marketing. Godin offers no real, practical advice on how to manage ‘remarkability’ or really transform your business into being remarkable other than to ‘go out and do it – be risky!’.