Design: Tom Peters Essentials is part one of the ‘Tom Peters Essentials’ series, 4 books (design, leadership, talent and trends) taken from the best selling book ‘Re-Imagine!‘. In Toms typical mix of passion, anger and American ‘loud mouthiness’ he delivers some great insights and a convincing pitch for Design as an essential part of business and ideation.
Loved it because:
- Original and ‘outstanding’ presentation style – the typical Tom Peters style works just as well on print as on flashy powerpoint slides. Bright contrasts, chaotic typography and shouting headers that make Tom’s points very clear.
- Tom Peters is a man worth listening too. Good insights, years of experience and a proven visionary in world business affairs
- Emphasis on the importance of design in ideas, products, services, brands and businesses, not so much the application and certainly not the ‘how to’ design guide. It offers a great pitch if you need to sell design inside or outside your organization.
You might not like it because:
- Tom’s style is not for everyone. It took me some getting used to, its very American, loud and even well over the top but this just speaks for Toms passion for doing things right and getting his message across.
- It’s very light reading, another one-flight book that doesn’t go very deep but gives you some great points on why and how design matters.