It’s the reason I still use iGoogle as my homepage. Even when I don’t have the energy to browse through 700 items in my RSS feed I still get random lines from some of my favorite blogs, one of my most favorite being the Seth Godin Blog. Today he surprised me with a list of ‘Random rules for ideas worth spreading’ and I’ve noted down a few of my favorites, just as a reminder to myself.
- Think big. Bigger than that.
- Are you a serial idea-starting person? If so, what can you change to end that cycle? The goal is to be an idea-shipping person.
- Waiting for inspiration is another way of saying that you’re stalling. You don’t wait for inspiration, you command it to appear.
- Don’t poll your friends. It’s your art, not an election.
- Be prepared for the Dip.
- The hard part is finishing, so enjoy the starting part.
Most of these ‘rules’ are about finishing an idea – seeing it through to the end (or in case of the ‘the Dip‘, knowing when to quit).
Read the rest of the list over on Seth’s blog, there’s more than a few left worth reading! (and yes this was a little bit of a Seth Godin fanpost but I really feel he’s on a role lately with the ‘shipping’ thing!)